Coming This Fall - Potential Issues Facing Higher Education

I think it’s time to get real and get honest about what COVID-19 means for universities and conservatories this coming fall. With many switching to and/or partially incorporating online learning AND the current state of the economy, I’m not sure that $70,000 per year will make sense anymore. This is compounded by the fact that the money is often easily borrowed leading to sky high student loans that are challenging for many to realistically pay back. Art and music degrees will be the first to go. Of course I don’t want this to happen but unfortunately, the situation has been unsustainable for quite some time. I (along with many others) have been calling it a bubble for years. When I taught at the college level, I used to be VERY concerned for my students and they ALL KNOW THIS because I was always upfront about it. The truth is that higher education and especially degrees in music and the arts will have to offer better outcomes for well-meaning students if they want to justify their high price tag (or any price tag) moving forward. This is has never been more apparent. I’ve always maintained that reality was going to catch up either way. COVID-19 simply accelerated the trend and every conservatory and university is facing this even if they don’t know it yet. 

If the institutions simply move things online this fall and expect students to follow suit without making the necessary changes to curriculum and cost structure, the results will be disappointing from nearly every angle. I challenge all institutions of higher learning to do the right thing, put the students first, and create something this fall that will truly help the precious leaders of tomorrow grow and flourish. The students deserve better and we have the technology and the resources to make it happen. If institutions of higher learning don’t do the right thing, I’m afraid that we may find ourselves living in a society that puts next to no value on the study of music and art. Many talented students who could have made a difference in the world will no longer have the opportunity. Additionally, many great artists who I’m proud to call my colleagues will lose their jobs and along with it the opportunity to mentor and teach. Higher education, as you make your plans for the fall I implore you, PLEASE DO NOT SCREW THIS UP!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Strategies

Learning Through Content Creation

Sad World - Fight Another Day