Online Lessons Learned

Over the next week April will be coming to a close. It's been 6 weeks since everything shut down and I began teaching online full time. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I am constantly impressed by everyone's commitment to continuing our work together online. I just recently sent out an email with lesson sign ups for May and the response I received was OVERWHELMING! Thank you everyone!

I realize that whether through mindset or actions many are waiting for things to return to normal. While I may want that too, I think it benefits everyone at this point to soberly recognize that things may be this way at least partially for quite some time and even if and when things return to "normal," they may never be quite the same for a variety of reasons. What this means is that it's time to think about thriving in the "here and now." This can be a very positive thing and I can assure you that beyond the numerous lessons I'm teaching, I'm working very hard to innovate moving forward. Innovation and creativity will be the key to restarting our lives. Things opening up again will come over time but I anticipate a long and nuanced process with changes. I could be wrong and perhaps I even hope that I'm wrong but I am moving forward in the here and now.

Regarding online sessions, I've learned some very basic but very valuable lessons over the past 6 weeks about this brave new world that we're in. Some are practical and simple. Some will be easier to hear than others. Some may be a bit long winded (apologies in advance). No matter your perception, my only intention in offering these to you is to be helpful.


1. I've found online lessons to be a great equalizer and for many students a reality check.
First as always, it's imperative that the teacher be highly skilled. Online lessons will no doubt test the educator's abilities. However, the onus has never been more on the student. This can be a very positive thing. Simply put, if the student does not do the work and preparation, the student will not benefit. While of course this was always the case prior to COVID-19, it appears to be accelerated now. Students who don't take notes, don't engage with the teacher at the highest level possible, and are unable to be (or learn how to be) self-sufficient practicers and problem solvers in between lessons, will unfortunately face substantial hurdles online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGWIKhTdd7c&t=52s

2. A proper setup is crucial.
It's time to get your setup together! There is no "winging it!" I realize that if you are pulling out your phone for a lesson it may feel casual but I assure you that is only your past perception interfering with the present reality. For many students the first few lessons definitely felt "casual" and I can certainly understand that. However, it's almost May and now there are NO EXCUSES! This means a clear visual presentation, a good system for reading music (not just throwing the books or music on the drum set or whatever's in front of you), and some prior experimentation with the sound to insure the best possible quality. For those on Zoom I've sent out emails and posted about this before. Like so many of my points here, students who are unable to be self-sufficient and get organized enough to make this happen will face major issues learning online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2FU2mfMR8


Jeptha here is demonstrating an excellent example of a solid setup. Everything is accounted for. A great visual presentation, a professional setup for reading music, proper mic or computer/tablet placement from the drum kit in order to create a great sound. He even removed the 10" tom for the reading portion of his lesson. Bluetooth earbuds are used in order to insure that he can remain a solid distance away and it doesn't interfere with the lesson flow. Finally, a photo doesn't do it justice but his drums are tuned beautifully as well. He's put thought into every aspect of his lesson setup and it shows. As a result, every lesson is clear, concise, and extremely productive. BRAVO JEPTHA!!!

3. If you don't have the right sticks, mallets, books, or instruments it is challenging to make progress (and that is the generous view).
While this may seem like a no-brainer the issue has come up more than one might think so I need to mention it. Online instruction requires a higher level of organization. As a student, you're no longer in a situation where everything is readily available to you at your instructor's studio. In the past, forgetting a pair of sticks or mallets at my studio was usually not a big issue. However in an online session, if you don't have the right equipment, you can't effectively take the lesson. In my opinion this should be obvious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCXQUjuiSHc

4. Students need to be ready, willing, and able to make progress. If they can't meet me halfway, it is near next to impossible for me to fill the void.
In this environment there are no half measures. Currently, the technology doesn't allow us to play together simultaneously. I anticipate that may change over time but for now it is what it is. Everything is execution based with a lot of back and forth. As with many things on this list, this can ultimately be a very positive thing for a motivated student with the right attitude and I'm definitely seeing that play out. However, if a student doesn't meet me halfway, it is nearly impossible to make progress and no amount of expelled energy or my shouting at the screen :) can make up the difference. Never before have our meetings been more about results. Plain and simple, if you want to learn there can be no more excuses! Come to your lesson ready to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdqKfTFDJ04

5. In the past things like practice logs, videos, arrangements, and content creation would be considered additional work or "value added." Now, it should be the norm. 
Over the past month I've asked nearly every student to record videos of their progress prior to their lesson and send it to me in a practice log folder in either google drive or dropbox. I've also had many students create arrangements using things like GarageBand or Logic etc. I am now using the "share audio" and "share screen" features in our Zoom lessons to analyze this content in real time. Most of my students have taken my advice to heart. By doing so they are creating a VERY useful tool for our lessons where they are able to hold themselves accountable in between lessons. As a result, I now have an ever growing catalog of shared student practice logs and videos that I anticipate will only grow and evolve. Students who prior to COVID-19 struggled to complete assignments are now finding new empowerment in keeping these practice logs and making videos of their progress. The growth here is exponential especially when you include the sharing of this content with other students in online classes and meetings. As I've mentioned again and again in this post, students who are unable to follow through on recommendations like this are increasingly finding themselves making less progress. It's a reality check. If you can't follow through, you will experience significant issues learning online. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_vU-cydjPk

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Strategies

Learning Through Content Creation

Sad World - Fight Another Day